I was first introduced to Africa New Life Ministries through a couple
in my Life Group, Dave and Suzette Munson. They went to Rwanda for the
first time in August of 2010 and they posted many pictures while they
were there.
I checked Suzette's Facebook page every
night hoping to see new pictures from her adventure. I would gasp and
say to my husband, "Oh my - look at this - can you believe this???" I
couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was pulling my children in after
school and showing them also. They didn't seem to really "get it."
Having someone I knew personally there made it more real to me than
anything I had seen before.
These are some of the pictures Suzette posted on her Facebook page that stuck in my head the most:
Suzette's Caption:
"Athanase and I. He's our boy now. He was a victim of the genocide.
His parents were massacred and he was hit in the head with a club and
thought he was dead (at age 3). Thrown in a pit with dead bodies. He
waited then crawled out of the pit. He has been on the streets ever
since BUT he is RADICALLY changed through Christ. I was drawn to him
but had no idea about his past. He has been used to change 1000's of
lives through his testimony. He was the most notorious kid on the
streets and feared amongst the street kids."
Suzette's Caption: "The
line to get most of them there only meal of the day. Many were
passing out in class so they decided they had to feed them in order for
them to learn. This area is INCREDIBLY poor. "
I commented on this picture how sad it was. Suzette's response surprised me: "Its
super sad but these kids are the fortunate ones. They get one meal a
day and they get to go to school. The ministry is amazing but there
are still so many kids unable to get this due to the lack of
sponsorship. Its hard to explain what its like here."
This particular picture really stuck out in my mind. I
could see the limitations of her human reach, but I could see her
stretching herself as much as she could. And I see them squeezing in
as much as they can to get as close to her as possible. This picture
made me wish I was there with her to help pass out the hugs.



No comments:
Post a Comment