She made these sweet invitations. She cut large hearts out of construction paper and then folded them to look like envelopes. She learned how to do this from a Chick Fil A book she got in her Kid's Meal back in about 1st grade. She has made them like this every year since. As with most things in our lives, we are doing everything last minute. She made these invitations Thursday night, to pass out Friday for a slumber party that very night :)
Her and her friends decorated. I got a snapshot of the table but totally forgot to take pics of the streamers they taped all over the place and the balloons floating around the house. I went to The Dollar Tree that morning and bought decorations. I used to stay up all night making sure that everything was perfect, but I realize they enjoy putting up the decorations themselves (and I enjoy sleeping the night before).
The girls made balloon faces with Sharpies. They were often unhappy with how they turned out so cleaned them off with Simple Green and started all over again.
The Star.
Birthday Girl Sister.
There was a little hiccup here and a couple of tears. Oh Joy, forgive us - we can be so dumb sometimes. We love you. she had cheesecake (her fave) and angel food cake with strawberries and cool whip (a best friend's fave). Picked these up the day of the party after that trip to The Dollar Tree for decorations.
They played a game of telephone. I love to see the looks on their faces when it's their turn to listen.
Freed played too. Might have been his first time - it was very cute.
Opening gifts. The usual fights over who would get to give theirs last (or next) ensued.
The gang. I love this picture. Do you see Freed and Em? Glory is adamant about getting her place next to her sister. Wow, you sure can see the girl's different personalities in this picture.
A knock at the door and strange letter for Joy! (from some angry trolls - a treasure hunt came next). It was very exciting and fun - again personalities SHINED. No better way to get to know someone (whether adult or child) than to do a treasure hunt together! Great group of girls. The second clue sent them to the park (which is pretty dark). Off they went with their flashlights. When I concocted the clues, I didn't think about it, but it just so happened that clue started off with "Go back! Go back! We're hungry! We're hungry!" - - - I did not think about that scaring them, it's just the next clue was a mud recipe they needed to make for the trolls...but when they read those first 4 sentences, they all started screaming and running back ... b/c they thought the trolls were going to eat them! A few clues, they were sent back to the park; Freed stayed home with Dad.
Treasure hunt instructions sent them to the living room to sing Happy Birthday to the trolls five times - after they made "Troll Birthday Treat" and left it on the front porch (mud, grass, weeds, bugs, etc...) Notice Freed watching the front door. His wheels were really turning. After the hunt, he and I had the sweetest conversation about "the troll" that ate the "treat" on the front porch while they were singing in the living room.
And, they ALL slept in the tent! Yipee! This will likely be the last sleepover Freed can attend. Although I totally see him as a baby, he's SIX and he really likes girls.
Happy Birthday Joy! I love you so much. I prayed the party would be good even though it was all so last minute, and the Lord answered that prayer sweet girl. I love you.
BTW, with cake, spaghetti, decorations, and fruit smoothies, this birthday cost about $40 total.
No comments:
Post a Comment